- 1 How to Choose the Best Electric Breast Pump for Yourself?
- 2 Is Buying a Used Electric Breast Pump a Good Idea?
- 3 Top 5 Electric Breast Pumps on the Market – 2018 Reviews
- 3.1 Spectra Baby USA – S2 Plus Premier Electric Breast Pump, Double/Single, Hospital Grade
- 3.2 Medela Pump in Style Advanced Double Electric Breast Pump, 2-Phase Expression Technology with Adjustable Speed and Vacuum
- 3.3 Spectra Baby USA – S1 Plus Premier Rechargeable Electric Breast Pump, Double/Single, Hospital Grade
- 3.4 Signature Pro by Lansinoh Double Electric Breast Pump with LCD Screen, Portable Breast Pump with Adjustable Suction & Pumping Levels
- 3.5 Medela Swing Single Electric Breast Pump
- 4 Conclusion
Whether you are still nursing or not, having an electric breast pump is a good idea, especially if you are planning to get back to work soon, or you are often away from home.
Still, choosing the right electric breast pump for yourself can be time-consuming and exhausting.
There are many great models out there, and each one offers something a little bit different.
What are you supposed to look for? Which models are top notch?
Keep reading, and we will answer these questions together!
How to Choose the Best Electric Breast Pump for Yourself?
Here’s the list of things you should pay attention to when shopping for the best electric breast pump on the market:
Do You Need A Single or Double Breast Pump?
How often are you expressing?
Once you answer this question, you will know which type of the electric breast pump is right for you.
If you are expressing from time to time, a single electric breast pump is a better option. On the other hand, if you are regularly expressing, a double breast pump would work the best for you.
Many women express a few times a day, some for the medical reasons and some because they’ve returned to work. In this case, a double breast pump can reduce the amount of time you spend expressing Spectra Baby USA – S1 Plus Premier Rechargeable Electric Breast Pump.
What’s the Right-Size of Flanges?
If you choose the wrong size of flanges, the whole pumping experience can become uncomfortable, even painful.
Make sure to Spectra Baby USA – S1 Plus Premier Rechargeable Electric Breast Pump. If your nipple is:
- Turning white or red;
- Rubbing against the sides of the tube, causing pain or,
- Getting sucked in, all the way to its areola – you’ll know something is wrong.
Another way to tell that you are using a wrong size of shields is if your breasts feel like they are still full, once you’ve finished pumping.
Mothers often need to change the size of the flange because the one that’s provided with the pump doesn’t fit properly. A too small shield can cause soreness and damaged nipples.
A new set of flanges costs between $8-16, if you feel any discomfort while pumping, don’t hesitate and buy one.
Do You Want Your New Electric Breast Pump to Be Portable?
If you are planning to get back to work a few weeks after the delivery, or you are just traveling a lot, you should consider purchasing a portable electric breast pump. It will give you a chance to express during a lunch break, or whenever you find a few minutes to do it.
So, make sure your new breast pump is lightweight and compact. Spectra Baby USA – S1 Plus Premier Rechargeable Electric Breast Pump!
Is It Easy to Clean?
Electric breast pumps have a lot of tiny parts and piecing it all together can be a nightmare.
Things can get even more complicated Spectra Baby USA – S1 Plus Premier Rechargeable Electric Breast Pump.
Talk to other mothers and check the reviews before buying your new breast pump. It should be relatively easy to take apart, clean and put back together. Also, the condensation in the tubing should be avoided.
Is the Suction Adjustable?
Unfortunately for the breast pump manufacturers, all women are different. The same amount of suction doesn’t work for every woman. What feels comfortable for one can be terribly painful for another.
Luckily for women, manufacturers found a way to make both vacuum strength and the speed of suction adjustable. So, make sure to choose a pump that offers this feature.
How Does It Get Power?
Okay, if we are talking about electric breast pumps, it means that you need to plug them in a wall socket and the magic starts. However, what happens if you are traveling or a blackout is happening, and there is no electricity?
You don’t have to depend solely on an outlet. Many electric breast pumps can also use batteries to run, or they can be connected to a car adapter. Make sure to choose one that can be useful in all conditions, blackout or not, traveling or not.
If you decide to buy a pump that doesn’t have alternative sources of energy, make sure to get a manual breast pump as well for different emergencies.
Is Buying a Used Electric Breast Pump a Good Idea?
No, it is not.
Would you use somebody else’s toothbrush? You wouldn’t. Using a previously owned pump is just as unhygienic.
You should avoid doing this even if you get brand new tubes, flanges and all of the other parts because chances are milk will get into the unsealed motor.
This option might be tempting because of the high costs of new electric breast pumps, but you should still avoid it.
The average lifetime of an electric breast pump is about the same as the length of its warranty.
Most pumps work longer than that, but in case something happens, and your previously owned breast pump stops working, the manufacturer won’t fix it after the warranty is expired.
A pump that is worn out may not work well. It might fail to stimulate your breasts adequately, which might cause your milk production to drop, and you may not be able to keep up with your baby’s needs. That is not something any mother would like to happen.
Remember, stay away from renting an electric breast pump or buying any kind of used breast pumps.
Top 5 Electric Breast Pumps on the Market – 2018 Reviews
Spectra Baby USA – S2 Plus Premier Electric Breast Pump, Double/Single, Hospital Grade
Incredible Spectra S2 hospital-grade electric breast pump works on a 12-volt AC power adapter. It comes with two wide neck bottles, backflow protector, flange, tubing, duckbill valve and detachable power cord prong. Spectra electric breast pump offers you a chance to customize its suction and cycling settings to your own body response and flow.
The backflow preventer is terrific, as it stops both spilling and condensation in the tubing. This means less cleaning for exhausted mothers. Nightlight is a fantastic feature because it looks nice and it is useful when you want to pump in a dark room. This electric breast pump is comfortable and safe as it doesn’t hurt your nipples and it shuts off automatically after 30 minutes.
However, a pump’s hose is a bit short which can be inconvenient. Also, it doesn’t run on batteries so you can forget about pumping away from an electric plug. It comes with only two bottles, and it doesn’t work with other brand’s attachments or parts, which makes it a bit more expensive.
- It shuts off automatically after 30 minutes.
- It has a backflow preventer.
- Nightlight is a nice feature.
- You can adjust the suction, speed and set a massage mode.
- It is comfortable for your nipples.
- Pump hose is a bit short.
- It comes with only two bottles to pump in.
- It doesn’t work with other brand’s attachments or parts.
- The backflow pieces pop off quickly.
Medela Pump in Style Advanced Double Electric Breast Pump, 2-Phase Expression Technology with Adjustable Speed and Vacuum
Using an electric breast pump from Medela will help you pump twice as fast. This double pump is specially designed for moms who pump several times a day. It comes with a battery pack which allows you to pump anywhere you want and a removable cooler bag that can hold four milk bottles. You will also get one microfiber bag, four milk bottles with lids, double pumping kit with breast shields, and a 9-Volt AC adapter.
If you are a mom who is always on the go, Medela’s pump will be perfect for you. You can use with a battery pack or a car adapter. Also, your milk will stay cool and fresh for twelve hours, with this incredible twelve-hour ice pack.
The battery pack requires eight AA batteries, which can be a lot, and you will notice that as the batteries lose power, the pump does too. You might have some problems holding the flanges with one hand as well.
- It comes with a car adapter and a battery pack.
- There is no condensation in the tubes.
- It comes with four bottles and a 12-hour ice pack.
- It is a dual pump and works in two speeds.
- It is easy to clean and sanitize.
- It takes 8 AA batteries which is a lot.
- There is no way to hold the flanges with one hand.
- The pump gradually loses the power.
- There is no separate speed or suction control.
Spectra Baby USA – S1 Plus Premier Rechargeable Electric Breast Pump, Double/Single, Hospital Grade
If you liked Spectra S2 electric breast pump, but you disliked the fact that you can’t use it remotely, away from an electrical plug, Spectra S1 is the solution! It includes all the same features as S2, except for the fact that it comes with an inbuilt rechargeable battery. It is completely adjustable, and you can choose between let-down and expression mode.
If your baby is sleeping next to you while you are pumping, you want the device to be quiet, right? Well, that is precisely what you’ll get with Spectra S1. At the same time, this model is compatible with Ameda parts and attachments. Its massage mode will help you produce a better flow.
However, this electric breast pump is costly. Also, when you are using it with a battery pack, the suction intensity decreases as the battery power goes away. The tubing is a bit weak, and you might have some trouble with it falling off all the time.
- The breast pump is quiet.
- It is compatible with Ameda parts.
- It comes with a rechargeable battery, in comparison to S2.
- Massage suction helps you produce more milk.
- The collector bottle holder is like having an extra hand.
- It is too expensive.
- The suction intensity decreases as the battery life goes.
- It is not hospital grade as advertised.
- The tubing is weak, and it falls off all the time.
Signature Pro by Lansinoh Double Electric Breast Pump with LCD Screen, Portable Breast Pump with Adjustable Suction & Pumping Levels
If you are looking for the maximum level of customization, Lansinoh electric breast pump might be the best option for you. It offers three different pumping styles and eight suction levels, to maximize comfort and milk production. It comes with two bottles, diaphragms with caps, breast flange bodies, storage lids, two special ComfortFit flanges, tubing, white valves, AC adapter and a NaturalWave slow-flow nipple.
This double electric breast pump allows you to decide whether you want to use one or two flanges. Adjustable speed and vacuum strength are incredible. In comparison to other models, Lansinoh pump is reasonably priced. It has an LCD screen which works as a timer.
This machine is loud, and a bit slow, so make sure that you are not in a hurry and your sleeping baby is in the next room. Twist top tends to untwist itself while pumping which is inconvenient.
- You can decide whether you are going to use one flange or two.
- It offers different speed settings and vacuum strength.
- It is reasonably priced.
- It has an LCD screen where you can see how long have you been pumping.
- You can pump directly into any standard size, wide neck bottle.
- It doesn’t come with any sort of travel bag.
- It is loud and a bit slow.
- Twist top untwists itself during pumping.
- Accessories such as flanges or tubes are not easy to find at major retail stores.
Medela Swing Single Electric Breast Pump
Here’s another model from Medela. If you pump only occasionally, then a single-electric breast pump can be just as efficient. Medela’s model is compact and lightweight, and you can fit it into your purse or tote bag. This device features two-phase expression technology, which consists of the first phase that provides stimulation through fast and light pumping; and the second phase that gently expresses milk through slow pumping.
The automatic two-phase setting works like a charm! This electric breast pump is small, lightweight and easy to take apart. However, its size doesn’t affect its strength, as the suction is powerful and comfortable. If you like, you can use this pump on a battery supply as well.
Unfortunately, the accessories, attachments, and parts are expensive to replace, and you might have trouble finding them in your local store. The cords and tubing detach from the pump too easily, and there are some problems with condensation. Be careful not to press the on/off button by accident as it is a bit sensitive.
- The breast pump is small and lightweight.
- You can set it to automatic two-phase pumping.
- It is easy to take apart and clean.
- The suction is powerful and comfortable.
- You can use it on battery supply.
- Accessories are expensive to replace.
- The cords and tubing don’t fit securely to the pump.
- Condensation forms in the tubing.
- The on/off switch is sensitive.
Did you make a decision? Which electric breast pump is the best one in your opinion?
Our heartfelt recommendation is Spectra Baby USA – S1 Plus Premier Rechargeable Electric Breast Pump. As we said, no pump will work the same for all the moms out there, but this one has excellent features. It is quiet, adjustable, works well and it can be switched from electric adapter to a rechargeable battery.
Do you agree with our choice?
Do you have any experience with electric breast pumps that you’d like to share?
See more: Buying Guide For New Mothers
Feel free to leave us a comment!